Community Empowerment Bill
This consultation seeks views on a range of proposals intended to give people in communities, and those supporting them in the public sector, a range of new ways to help deliver a better Scotland.
The proposed Community Empowerment (Scotland) Bill aims to make the most of the talents that exist in our communities; deliver high quality and improving public services; and support strong local democracy and local decision-making.
The Bill will include:
- a new way for communities to take on public sector land and buildings
- opportunities for communities to be more involved in shaping and delivering better outcomes locally
- greater transparency in the management and disposal of the Common Good
- improved powers for local authorities to recover the costs of dealing with dangerous and defective buildings
- measures to streamline and extend the rural community right to buy
- new duties to strengthen Community Planning, so that public sector agencies work as one to deliver better outcomes for communities
- updated and simplified legislation on allotments
- new powers for local authorities to create local business rate relief schemes.